My brief, unstructured notes from a presentation by Ryan Chute from Los Alamos National Labs on the Djatoka JPEG 2000 Image Server, at at the DLF Fall 2008 Forum.
- APIs and libraries: Kakadu SDK, Sun Java advanced images, NIH ImageJ, OCLC OpenURL OOM. Could work with other than Kakadu, including Aware.
- Viewer adapted from a British Library implementation.
- Features: resolution and region extraction, rotation, support for rich set of input/output formats, extensible interfaces for image transformations, including watermarking. Persistent URLs for images and for individual regions.
- URI-addressability for specified regions needed, and OpenURL provided a standardized service framework foundation for requesting regions. This extends the OpenURL use cases.
- Service example: Ajax-based client requests, obtains metadata and regions from image server using image identifier, client iterates through tiles and metadata to display.