Friday, June 20, 2008

one can be too available

I loved this post of O'Reilly Radar: Phone in the Toilet?

Yes, I have a cell phone. I do carry it everywhere because it's a Palm Centro, and without it I would not know where I need to be and when. For the first time in years I am actually keeping the phone turned on all the time because my house in Charlottesville is on the market and one needs to be on call for Realtors. BUT, I don't give the number to too many people and I never use all my minutes. I do not feel the need to call people wherever I am just to chat. It's mind-boggling to me when I witness someone having a phone conversation in a public restroom. And I've seen this lots of times. And there's the woman who rides the same Metro shuttle I do that's planning her wedding: she and her mother have serious issues. I should not know this about a woman whose name I do not even know.

I also do not regularly check my email when at home, and I can go hours without going online (which isn't true of everyone in my household ). And my kitchen is where I cook, not go online, even to check recipes.

As my friend Liz would say: there's no kidney in a cooler, people. Take some time away from constant connectedness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Once, on a plane, I listened to some random guy going through all of his voice mail on speakerphone as we waited to leave the gate. After a couple of messages, someone politely asked him to take the phone off speaker. I'm still wondering why he felt the need to broadcast his voice mail in the first place.

And I'm right there with you on the phones in public restrooms thing. I mean, ewww.